Hebrew Placement Exam
This self-placement exam is for students with prior knowledge of Hebrew. Total beginners should not take this exam. Any other use for this exam is unauthorized; it may not be reproduced, copied, or shared with others. Based on your score, you will be able to place yourself in a GW Hebrew course that is best suited for you.
This exam determines which of these courses is best suited to your language level. In order to be placed in a more advanced Hebrew course, you will need to consult with the coordinator of the Hebrew program in person at the beginning of the semester. The exam has 50 short questions and was designed to take about 60 minutes. We recommend that once you begin the exam you should continue to work on it without interruption until you finish.
Please do not look at the questions before taking the exam. In order to be placed accurately, it is important that you work independently without the help of grammar books or a dictionary.
This placement test will be automatically graded. Until the matter is resolved, the score summary for your exam will be available, at the time that you have completed your exam. Please print out the score summary immediately once it is produced. Determine your level by comparing your score to this scale:
- 30% or less: Hebrew 1001 (Beginning Hebrew)
- 50%-80%: Hebrew 2001 (Intermediate Hebrew)
- 80% or higher: Hebrew 3001 ( Advanced Intermediate Hebrew)
If you had a perfect score of 100%, you should consider taking a higher level Hebrew course, Hebrew 4001. Please consult the coordinator of the GW Hebrew Program about it at the beginning of the semester.
To take this test, create a free Quia account first.
- To do so, go to the Quia Web site.
- Click the link labeled "Create my free account."
- Fill out the form that appears. Select "Student" as the account type.
- Record or memorize your username and password.
- When you are done, press the "Create my account" button.
- You should now be on your account information page. Type in the class code EBGAH689 at the bottom of the page and press the "Add class" button.
- Now you're done! Come back to this page and take the test from the link below.