Sugai Intensive English & Leadership Development Program
The Intensive English and Leadership Development Program is a 17-day summer program sponsored by the Sugai Fund. This program seeks to give students the opportunity to broaden their horizons through educational and cultural experiences at GW.
Through this program, participants will enhance their communication, presentation, and leadership skills, and build a global understanding of cultural differences. They will also have an opportunity to meet students from all over the world and engage with experts in various fields in the United States.
Stay tuned for details about the summer program!
Translated Outline (Japanese) 日本語
- Intensive English classes with GW professors from the English for Academic Purposes (EAP) Program
- Leadership seminars with professionals such as GW professors, a researcher from the National Institute of Health and an economist from the World Bank
- Field trips to major sites, including the Smithsonian Museums, U.S. Capitol and Library of Congress
Who Can Apply
Admission to the program is competitive and space is limited to eight students. All selected students will receive a full scholarship that covers round trip transportation to Washington, D.C., the cost of attendance and overseas travel insurance.
- Must be 18 years or older
- Must be a student at the college or graduate level
- Must fall into one of the specified categories:
- A victim of the Great East Japan earthquake of 2011, and/or have lost their parent(s) due to the earthquake
- A victim of the Kumamoto earthquakes of 2016, and/or have lost their parent(s) due to the earthquakes
- A victim of any other natural disasters that took place in Japan between 2011-2021.
Frequently Asked Questions (Japanese)
Applications will consist of two selection rounds. Only those who have passed the first round will be eligible to proceed to the final round.
- Personal and educational information
- A letter of recommendation from a faculty member of the school that applicants are currently enrolled in
- An essay addressing a topic in Japanese (800–1200 words)
- An online interview in Japanese and English
Past Sugai Programs
Browse videos for highlights from past trips.
The Sugai Intensive English and Leadership Development Program is made possible thanks to generous support from ANA Inspiration of Japan